Yes I would agree that MCX has not done a great job on PR, and sure its UI Design team may have come from North Korea… but there is MUCH behind the scenes here.
I just used CurrentC at Target and I am NOT IN COLUMBUS. The functional leader in the MCX consortium is Target. My personal view is that Target led the way over 5 years ago with the launch of the Target Red Card. It is the “baseline” for MCX product launch (see my 5 yr old Blog). The Target team is just out of this world.. not just for retailers.. it is one of the best payment teams in any company.
Target has done a FABULOUS JOB of Integrating VERY COMPLEX functionality into CurrentC. Did MCX do the work? Nope.. think of MCX as a dumb container for the Target Red Card, and Target’s Loyalty Program Cartwheel.
So what is NEW about MCX?
- First in the world integrated payment, loyalty with SKU level coupon redemption
- Integrated ACH Settlement (Redcard)
- Risk Management – POS – ACH settlement (FIS and First Data) Red Card
- Mobile Application Supporting multiple loyalty cards and programs with SKU Level Redemption
- POS Bar Code Scanning of Payment (.. starbucks like)
- Routing and Clearing of both ACH, Debit and Credit within Acquirers (FIS and First Data)
- Technology on-ramps and containers for both mobile wallet, POS/Point of Sale integration, and Clearing/Settlement
- Rules and pricing for all of this
This is a HUGE project…. I would say the UI needs MUCH work.. but don’t judge this network by the app!
See my short video below