20 Aug 2010 (update Aug 23)
(update – Was just told that the BAC pilot is NOT using the Monitise application. Wow.. what on earth is going on with the Visa team? They have at least 5 different pilot models.. in a positive light this is market experimentation. I’ll take the blame for being premature, but given that I saw the new application and was told it was July I connected the dots… albeit incorrectly. Bloomberg’s story above is on target and trial is a field test of the newly certified DeviceFidelity MicroSD. Purpose is to ensure all works as planned from enrollment, activation, OTA provisioning, application usage and NFC payment ).
Visa has a number of initiatives surrounding mobile and NFC. Certainly a challenge to get multiple parties aligned to make this happen:
- Monitise, provider of a new iPhone application
- Device Fidelity, NFC tech provider which
- Bank of America (pilot agreement, marketing plans, focus demographic)
- Advertisers.. currently part of existing visa discount program
- Apple.. certification of the Moni iPhone application (submitted in June)
- First Data. Trusted Service Manager (TSM) in the NFC role…
- … I could go on
This activity represents a major investment by the entire industry team.. ( given equity stakes perhaps Keiretsu is more appropriate).
More to come … this is just a quick update
- Previous Post – Visa “Mobile Rails” Nov 2009
- Monitise Vendor Review Dec 2009